Rails, TDD and Lean Startup is the magic triad for me that is much more powerful and any of the constituents alone. I deeply believe that:
- Ruby and Rails produce a 10x developer productivity gain, because of: (a) its focus on developer ease of use; (b) convention over configuration; (c) the vibrant open source community around it
- TDD creates 10x better code and applications, because it (a) drives looser coupling and better coherence; (b) removes the fear of things breaking from the developer and thus unleashes their productivity and creativity.
- the Lean Startup model makes 10x better companies and products, because (a) a lot less time is wasted building things nobody needs or wants; (b) team members are empowered to make actual product changes that have impact on a daily basis
- Focusing on the team creates a 10x better company culture with lower attrition and higher productivity, because in the knowledge economy, people want (a) a sense of autonomy of who they work with and what they work on; (b) a sense of mastery to learn something deeply and develop their skills; (c) a sense of purpose in their work. (Source: Drive by Daniel Pink)
I'm a consultant, developer and trainer in San Francisco and I feel lucky that I get to do all of the above most of the time.
San Francisco, CA
Member for 8 years, 3 months
2 profile views
Last seen Feb 14 '12 at 22:04
- Stack Overflow 6.6k 6.6k 33 gold badges4040 silver badges6262 bronze badges
- Android Enthusiasts 373 373 11 gold badge33 silver badges66 bronze badges
- Parenting 360 360 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- Server Fault 185 185 66 bronze badges
- Personal Finance & Money 163 163 55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 107 Using object types with Jasmine's toHaveBeenCalledWith method
- 54 Using the "should NOT produce [exception]" syntax in ScalaTest
- 45 How can I specify a gem to pull from a private github repository?
- 37 Automatically open a file as binary with Ruby
- 27 What is the list of commands to dictate punctuation, capitalization and line breaks?
- 17 Can I use the browser Navigation Timing API for Ajax events in single page apps? If not, what's a good tool?
- View more network posts →